[uClibc] Toolchain construction help needed for pure uClibc system

West Suhanic giraffe911 at rogers.com
Mon Sep 29 20:55:36 UTC 2003

Hello All:

I am trying to build a toolchain for a uclibc-based development system.
My metric for success is that when I do a ldd on g++ I get the uClibc .so file and no
mention of glibc.

I have successfully built the root fs and the tool chain from the downloads from www.uclibc.org .
I have successfully installed the root fs on another machine and have made the disk bootable.
This means I have a machine running using only uclibc, great. The next step is to get a pure
uclibc development environment. I downloaded the toolchain and built it on a host system.
The gcc and g++ that were produced by the toolchain build generate executables that require uClibc.
I verified this by running a program compiled using i386-uclibc-g++  on the new uClibc system I built.
Again great. However I am now after a gcc and g++ that will run on the pure uClibc system.
I have pounding away at this for a while, what am I missing? Do I have to get a static bootstrap
compiler for the pure uClibc system and use that to build binutils, libgcc, uclibc, gcc, g++ and libstdc++ ?

Note I tried rebuilding gcc on my host machine using the wrapper compiler. The thought process
here was that if the host version of i386-uclibc-gcc produces executables that require uClibc why not use i386-uclibc-gcc to build gcc this compiler. However after attempting this I quickly realized the problems.

I would really appreciate any comments, help etc. with this matter.

regards,

west