uwoody w/ 2.4.32 kernel boots into single user mode

Harmon Seaver hseaver at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 10:38:12 PST 2006

uwoody is at http://www.people.debian.org/~andersee/
It's not an iso image, it's a root_fs.bz2 and you loop mount it, add a
kernel, then dd it to a drive (or flash), chroot into it and do
resize2fs to fill the partition, then boot. There is also a
root_fs.tar that I'm going to try next -- mke2fs the partition first,
then untar the root_fs to it -- maybe that will work better.
   Or maybe it's my kernel -- I built the 2.4.32 kernel on my debian
box but wasn't sure that was the correct way to go. If not, where do
you get kernels if you don't compile them in buildroot?

On 3/1/06, Buhlrich, Ralf <buhlrich at power4solutions.de> wrote:
> Hi Harmon,
>
> where did you get the installation iso image ??? Can you post a link,
> so that others can test it ?
>
> Thx
>
> Ralf
>
> Harmon Seaver wrote:
> > I've got uwoody booting up with a 2.4.32 kernel but it only boots into
> > single user mode complaining:
> > fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda1
> > The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2.
> >
> >   and wants me to run e2fsck on it, but that just gets me the same
> > message. I can boot with a tomsrbt floppy and run e2fsck on /dev/hda1
> > and it works fine. When I look in /dev on the drive, there is no
> > /dev/hda1. Devfsd is getting loaded and it can mount the drive, in
> > fact I can look around the drive in single use mode. I put uwoody on
> > this drive with dd, then ran resize2fs on it to fill the partition.
> >      I also put a 2.6.14.5 kernel on it, but that gives me a kernel
> > panic -- not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> > unknown-block(3,1)
> >
> > --
> > Harmon Seaver

Harmon Seaver