Mirror problem

Michael Miller michael.miller at prga.com
Thu Mar 2 06:13:18 PST 2006

>On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 08:38 +0100, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
>> On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:
>
>> Problem I see: who will decide which versions are working correctly
>> together and what is "stable"? Who will test all these on each and every
>> arch? See how long the automated builds take only for uclibc on each
>> arch (build logs posted each day).
>
>People using them... I mean the lure of buildroot for me is a *highly*
>flexible build system. Plus quite easy to learn and use. I picked it up
>and added all sorts of packages (some which were added to buildroot).
>Built root filesystems and used in products that are installed. Now if I
>had a way to save the config file (which I can) AND the version/options
>for each package. I could maintain multiple "installation" filesystems.
>Right now if I update all of a sudden one package may not work with
>another. Keeps things small and simple.

I'm not so worried about package combinations in terms of buildroot itself.
I look to buildroot to setup an initial environment on a new build machine.
The problem is when uClibc or BusyBox have a release there is not a paired
buildroot version.  So we have choices of a released version of buildroot
that is guaranteed not to work or taking your chance with the latest daily
buildroot snapshot.  Neither is a good choice.

What I'm trying to say is there are 2 scenarios; getting released versions
of files or getting latest.  I think it's reasonable that if you are getting
a released version then you can expect it to build, and if you are getting
the latest daily version you can expect the potential for build problems.
If this isn't the case then why even have releases?  I'm not claiming our
build process or software are actually bug free, merely that these are
reasonable expectations.

So that leaves us with deciding what versions are working together.  The
answer is once you have a release you branch things and make the necessary
minimal fixes to keep the current release functional.  We have been loath to
do this because we never feel things are stable enough for a release.  The
answer to that is more and not fewer releases.

	Regards,
	Mike