Mirror problem

Peter S. Mazinger ps.m at gmx.net
Thu Mar 2 07:38:04 UTC 2006

On Wed, 1 Mar 2006, Nathanael D. Noblet wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 19:39 -0600, Michael Miller wrote:
> > Hmm, right you are.  The snapshots have the fix but the release does not.
> > Given that the release is over a year old, maybe it's time for a new
> > release.  Maybe after the BusyBox 1.1.1 release.
>
> Not that I'm authorative on this, but every time this comes up they
> inform the questioner that they won't be doing releases. It makes sense
> as to why they don't. On the other hand it would be nice to have a
> stable working copy.
>

> I've actually been wondering about the whole thing and think instead of
> releasing buildroot, there should simply be a way to create stable
> configs. So combination of packages & their versions which work
> together. So creating something that will allow people to contribute
> a .config that builds X,Y & Z and is known to work. I think there are
> really only two things that need to happen to buildroot to make it
> possible.
>
> 1) Patch buildroot to be able to specify particular configs. This is
> somewhat possible with how make works, but making it more integrated
> perhaps by creating a config directory for storing them, and adding the
> ability to browse the configs to choose which one to use straight from
> make menuconfig.
>
> 2) Modify packages .mk / conf files to be able to specify the exact
> version instead of hardcoding them in the makefiles. Thus allowing the
> building of arbitrary package version combinations.
>

> Are there any huge problems with the above that I don't see?

Problem I see: who will decide which versions are working correctly
together and what is "stable"? Who will test all these on each and every
arch? See how long the automated builds take only for uclibc on each
arch (build logs posted each day).

Anyone here proposing to set up a box that does the test runs for each
stable-declared version of buildroot combination?

I think it's better using gentoo for this (I know not all like it, but
if you adventure already to build everything w/ buildroot, then gentoo
does it better for you): uClibc is fully supported, supports
stable/testing/experimental, it has cross-compiling support, it allows
switching between binutils/gcc versions easily (even the cross-compiler
ones), it can be installed into a chroot, so you could stay w/ your
preferred distro natively.

Peter