Long release cycle (was: RE: uclibc tool chain installation problem)

sjhill at realitydiluted.com sjhill at realitydiluted.com
Wed Mar 22 21:43:50 UTC 2006

<SNIP>

> Corrections that should be done:
> a. if NPTL is added to this release, then get new linuxthreads working as
> well, else disable new linuxthreads in release

<SNIP>

Getting NPTL into a state ready for merging into the trunk will probably
not be viable for about two months. If you can wait until the middle of
May for the next release, fine. I am guessing people want a release
before then. The reason for the length of time is that linuxthreads
(both models) will not even compile in my branch. Also, the new port of
linuxthreads wants TLS. My loader in NPTL supports TLS relocations, but
will need to be tested with linuxthreads before I am willing to merge
code into the trunk.

Secondly, I again echo Manuel's comment about MV not contributing
anything to uClibc other than pushing for releases. Now if they wanted
to sponser PPC or ARM having NPTL ported to those architectures, then
I would be impressed.

-Steve