[BusyBox] Net configuration

Allan (pls reply to list only) discard at chickenandporn.com
Fri Feb 7 15:53:02 UTC 2003

Alex wrote:
>[...vicious snippage...]
>
> I'm using busybox linked vs uclibc.
> While using busybox's ifconfig and ping
> I resieving the error signal SIGILL - Illigal instruction.
> My system has very small amount of memory = 4M, i386sx.
> and for now it available for user ~2700k of ram, whith shell and init
> (both busybox) ~400-500k
> Most (all another) busybox utilities work's fine.
> Is the network utilities so memory consuming?
> Or I forgot to switch on some important network parameters in kernel?
> I know what this signal means, but don't now how to solve the problem.
> The same kernel but with included nfs root support, works fine with passed
> to kernel parameters for IP. But I just wont to have option to define
> IP(network interface parameters) from the start script.

This kinda sounds like you're using object code compiled for > i386 (ie
i486, i686) on your 386.  The message implies that it's an instruction
the CPU does not understand, and since intel tries to maintain backward
compatibility, it's probably a newer instruction, not an older one.

If you want to follow on my supposition, verify that the uClibc is built
for 386 as well... and since the 386sx has no FPU, you'll need to define
some floating point support in uClibc.

Check to see if the same error occurs with a static-linked busybox.
...I'm assuming you have some other binaries in-use, so you're linking
bb against uClibc to share libs with those other binaries.

Allan