[BusyBox] unresolved symbols (again)

White, Dan M dan.m.white at intel.com
Sun Nov 21 06:45:03 UTC 2004

            I know this has been discussed before,  cuz I've searched,
but I'm stumped.

            I got Busybox V1.0 and I got 'unresolved symbols' from my
insmod.

>From Kernel config

  [*] Enable loadable module support                           x x

  x x        [ ]   Set version information on all module symbols
x x

  x x        [*]   Kernel module loader
x x

  x x

Just to confirm:

ave-lab-52 linux-2.4.20 # grep MODVERS .config

27:# CONFIG_MODVERSIONS is not set

ave-lab-52 linux-2.4.20 # grep MODVERS include/linux/autoconf.h

28:#undef  CONFIG_MODVERSIONS

>From busy box config

[*] insmod                                                    x x

  x x       [*]     Support version 2.2.x to 2.4.x Linux kernels
x x

  x x       [ ]     Support version 2.6.x Linux kernels
x x

  x x       [ ]     Module version checking
x x

  x x       [*]     Add module symbols to kernel symbol table
x x

  x x       [*]     In kernel memory optimization (uClinux only)
x x

  x x       [*]     Enable load map (-m) option
x x

  x x       [ ]       Symbols in load map
x x

  x x       [*] lsmod
x x

  x x       [*] modprobe
x x

  x x       [*] rmmod
x x

  x x       [*] Support tainted module checking with new kernels
x x

  x x

/ # insmod mymod.o

insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.20-rmk2-ds3-kdb-svos: No such file or directory

Using /lib/modules/mymod.o

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_byte

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_dev_driver

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_insert_device

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_setup_device

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_register_driver

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_remove_device

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_enable_device

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_byte

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_dword

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_read_config_word

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_match_device

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_assign_resource

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_root_buses

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_devices

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_unregister_driver

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_dword

insmod: unresolved symbol pci_write_config_word

insmod: unresolved symbol printk

/ #

On the target system:

/ # cat /proc/ksyms | grep printk

80050a9c fp_printk

80050a9c printk_R__ver_printk

/ #

All the pci_xxx symbols are followed by the versioning like printk.

I _DID_ use 'extern's on 'em.

So why are the symbols versioned?

Is this my problem?

--