[BusyBox] builtin echo for ash

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Sat Aug 6 19:34:28 MDT 2005

 > >  > you could create a config option (ex.  CONFIG_BB_ECHO)
 > >  > that is not selectable by menuconfig and use select
 > >  > CONFIG_BB_ECHO for the 2 cases you need it
 > >
 > > i'm not sure i quite follow what you're suggesting.  i think
 > > it's important to be able to configure the applet and the
 > > builtin separately.  i suspect the easiest/safest/least
 > > surprising thing to do is just what i've done -- duplicate
 > > the Config.in menu entries, and comment the duplication.
 >
 > i'm pretty sure he's talking about back end changes here ...
 > frontend would be the same for the user ...
 >
 > config CONFIG_COREUTILS_ECHO
 >     bool "echo"
 >     select CONFIG_ECHO
 > config CONFIG_ASH_ECHO
 >     bool "echo"
 >     select CONFIG_ECHO
 >
 > and then in the source code, we would use CONFIG_ECHO to
 > determine whether to include bb_echo()

i see.  yes, i could do that.  (oddly, the "select" operator isn't
in the docs.)  though whether or not to include bb_echo() isn't a
big deal, since it's only a library routine, and has minimal
dependencies -- i.e. it will pretty much always compile.  the big
(if this can be considered "big") question would still be, where
would CONFIG_FEATURE_FANCY_ECHO live?

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com