[BusyBox] [patch] Add bunzip2 support to insmod

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Tue Aug 16 18:28:22 MDT 2005

On Tuesday 16 August 2005 14:16, Jason Schoon wrote:
> Agreed, we use squashfs for our rootfilesystem to save space on everything.
> However, I could see this being a useful alternative, for those who need a
> writable rootfilesystem, can't/won't use unionfs.

I use bind mounts, and you can make a squashfs out of
just /lib/modules/2.6.42.  Still, if somebody other than the original
developer thinks this might be cool, that's good to know...

> I think the differentiation between a failed unzip and an uncompressed file
> could use some work though.  Although, I guess if it fails, it fails and
> your system won't work as expected either way. A differentiating error code
> or message might help in debugging the problem though.

Nah, that's not an problem for me.  "There's something wrong with this module"
is true either way.  Figuring out what is a developer-only issue.

However, you shouldn't have to modify the generic bunzip code when I designed
the sucker to be able to uncompress into a buffer.  I designed it so
read_bunzip reads into a destination buffer that the caller provides and
specifies the length of.  Don't muck up uncompressStream with a callback and
a wrapper function.