[BusyBox] Lease remembering in udhcpc?

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Sun Aug 21 23:13:58 MDT 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 18:17, Jason Schoon wrote:
> It pains me to say this because his tact is non-existent, but I agree with
> Rainer here.
>
> If you are using DHCP, you should never be introducing potential caching
> issues. If there is such an unreliable system that this happens often,
> either use static IP or something like zero config to fall back. Reusing a
> stale lease is never a good solution.

Linksys routers tend to have their DHCP server go down while the rest of the
router stays up.  (Yes, linksys makes crappy routers, but belkin has its port
forwarding iptables rules work based on the interface rather than the IP
address.  Cheap plastic hardware tends to be a bit funky.)

I usually fix this up by hand when it happens to me (or just go upstairs and
power cycle the router), but I fail to see how the wrong IP address is a
worse failure mode than no IP address.

*shrug*.  I don't feel strongly either way, but I can see how somebody might
want this.  Having a script we run in the failure case might be the easy and
generic way to address this.