[BusyBox] Lease remembering in udhcpc?

Josef Wolf jw at
Mon Aug 22 01:18:58 MDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 21, 2005 at 06:17:03PM -0500, Jason Schoon wrote:

> It pains me to say this because his tact is non-existent, but I agree with
> Rainer here.

I'm sorry for getting the wrong tone in my last mail!

> If you are using DHCP, you should never be introducing potential caching
> issues. If there is such an unreliable system that this happens often,
> either use static IP or something like zero config to fall back.

The question is not whether it happens often.  The quesion is how big is
the impact when it happens _once_: If all the clients deconfigure their
interfaces, the _whole_ network goes down when the dhcp server is down.
There's a single point of failure here.

> Reusing a stale lease is never a good solution.

I'm not sure we're talking about the same here.  I'm not about reusing
a stale lease.  I'm about reusing a non-expired lease.  Rfc2131 explicitly
allows this in section 3.2.3.

> In the 99.9999% times
> where you are still on the same subnet, why the heck did you DHCP server
> go away?

We are not living in a perfect world.  Systems fail.  Servers fail.
Hardware fail.  I'm not sure it is a good idea to have the whole network
go down when the hard disk of the dchp server fails.

--
No software patents in Europe -- http://nosoftwarepatents.com
-- Josef Wolf -- jw at raven.inka.de --