[BusyBox] Filesystem detection in mount & lazy unmount

Chris Spiegel busybox at happyjack.org
Mon Jul 11 22:06:38 UTC 2005

On Saturday 09 July 2005 03:15 pm, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 09 July 2005 15:23, Chris Spiegel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >   "mount" from mainline util-linux has the ability to do automatic
> > filesystem detection, if no type is selected, by checking magic numbers -
> > this is more complete than just checking /proc/filesystems because it can
> > detect filesystems whose modules are not loaded.
>
> P.S.  This is what /etc/filesystems is for, by the way.  Listing
> filesystems whose modules may not currently be loaded.

It's true that /etc/filesystems can sort of take the role of automatic
filesystem detection.  My goal as a lazy end-user, though, is to do as little
as humanly possible to get my system working -- currently I have an initrd
that, among other things, doesn't need to be told the root filesystem type,
and if I happen to change it I won't have to make sure that a text file is up
to date, because I'm using util-linux's mount.  Of course, getting to my goal
of lazy end-user may include lots of work hacking code but I don't mind that
for some reason.  :)

It's great to hear about updates to mount.. I'll be happy to test the changes,
as my goal of being a lazy end-user also includes dropping (almost)
everything except busybox.  The better busybox works, the better my system
is.

Chris