udhcp and busybox

Paul Fox pgf at brightstareng.com
Mon Mar 27 10:23:20 PST 2006

 > >  > It first hit me when I was using buildroot - all of busybox worked
 > >  > right after installing except udhcpc, which had the following issues:
 > >  >
 > >  > 	* it required a script, which isn't installed by buildroot
 > >
 > > sounds like a bug in buildroot, no?
 >
 > No, it's a bug in the dhcp client for needing it.  If even init can avoid
 > using /etc/inittab, there's no excuse for dhcp needing a script.

as designed, it needs a config file.  so buildroot needs to
provide one.  the bug is in buildroot.

which doesn't mean that udhcp wouldn't be somewhat easier for some
people to use if it didn't require the script.  (as long as it still
supports using a script for more complicated environments.)

 > I was happy to leave this thing alone indefinitely and focus
 > on higher priority things, until my hand was forced.  But I
 > can't even build with the tree spliced together like this, and
 > even if I could it's obnoxious.  I objected at the time.  For
 > example, if I clean up the code to use bb_getopt_ulflags() I
 > break some unrelated project.  That's evil, and it's NOT MY
 > PROBLEM.
 >
 > My objections were ignored, and now I'm making the problem
 > _GO_AWAY_.  And the since only way to do that is write a new
 > one, that's what I'm doing.

that's fine.  for some reason i don't understand, my builds have
not yet broken.  i'm sure they will, and when they do i'll certainly
share your pain.  i agree that linking the trees is a problem.
i'd actually prefer that busybox not include udhcp at all than to
link the repositories like that.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at brightstareng.com