[patch] ntpclient

Rob Landley rob at landley.net
Thu Sep 14 02:03:07 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 13 September 2006 6:22 pm, ldoolitt at recycle.lbl.gov wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 02:22:39PM -0700, Jesse Dutton wrote:
> > Here is a patch that adds ntpclient. It has two configuration options
> > that control whether or not the printing code and the phase locking
> > code are included.
>
> Sensible.

Looks pretty good to me.  (I'd prefer the config options be ENABLE rather than
#ifdef, but that looks like a fairly straightforward cleanup.)

> > With both options: [chop]
> > function                                             old     new   delta
> > search                                                80     304    +224
> > send_packet                                           31     171    +140
>
> I'm not sure I would trust those numbers.  search and send_packet are
> static routines in the ntpclient.c file, and bloatcheck looks like it
> has somehow combined them with some other busybox search (diff) and
> send_packet (udhcp) routines.

I believe if it gets two symbols with the same name, it adds them together.
(Only sane way to deal with statics, I'm afraid.  I _think_ I fixed it so
they would add rather than overwrite; that way the delta should be accurate.)

But I'm typing this on the bus home at 10 pm and my brain is jello right now.
(Yay laptops.)

The important question is:

Larry, you ok with this being checked in?  (You mentioned you had a pending
bugfix...)

You should be able to see everybody who touches it with "svn log -v
util-linux/ntpclient.c", and any initial cleanup should just be
busyboxification with no functional changes.  (Yay public SVN.  Yay caffeine.
Yay falling over when I get home, except I see a message from Bruce Perens
that does not look like yay.  Right...)