Bug 1244 testcase

Eric Spakman E.Spakman at inter.nl.net
Sun Mar 4 11:39:51 PST 2007

Hi Denis,

>> It's indeed strange that some daemons seem to need a controlling tty,
>> at least dnsmasq, openntpd and ulogd won't start without and I can
>> imagine
>
> I suspect that daemons don't need it, but some script probably fails
> before they have a chance to be started.
>
> In order to find out where it breaks down, do *NOT* use cttyhack,
> but use "exec >/dev/tty1 2>/dev/tty1 </dev/tty1" trick. Move it further and
> further down the script until you find the place where script starts to
> fail.

I tried it and some scripts indeed start to fail with the latest SVN
version. All those scripts contain "set -e". Commenting that out make the
script run again.

A snippet:

set -e

case "$1" in
  start)
        echo -n "Starting $DESC: "
        start-stop-daemon --quiet --start --exec $DAEMON -- -d > /dev/null
2>&1
        echo "$NAME."
        ;;

But the console is still quiet, I need the cttyhack program to show any
init bootmessages on the screen.

Eric