[uClibc] GETTEXT_AWARENESS

Manuel Novoa III mjn3 at codepoet.org
Thu Sep 18 13:51:47 UTC 2003

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 18, 2003 at 01:39:21PM +0200, Peter S. Mazinger wrote:
> What does GETTEXT_AWARENESS=y mean?

Right now all it really does is cause stub versions of libintl to be
built.  I haven't yet converted uClibc's strerror*() and psignal()
to be "gettext aware".

The basic idea is that, when enabled, a stub version of libintl is
built which is sufficient to build packages without having to specify
--disble-nls in their configuration.  Then, at a later time, one can
simply "plug in" libintl from gnu gettext and things will "just work".

Note that inorder to support translation of messages from uClibc
routines (like strerror*()) I will also need to provide a patch for
gnu gettext.

Another thing on my todo list is to modify the gettext code to use
some kind of message archive.  Currently, every .mo file contains
both the keys and the translations.  While this has advantages on
your average desktop with lots of hard drive space, it really isn't
what you want on something like a PDA with limited storage.

Manuel