[uClibc] Script embezzlement

Michael D. Miller michael.miller at prga.com
Thu Sep 18 13:42:50 UTC 2003

It appears there is embezzlement going on in the makefiles.  The problem was
noticed on version 0.9.21 but probably has been there for some time.
Specifically libc/sysdeps/linux/common and libc/sysdeps/linux/sh Makefiles
have a substitution line SAFECFLAGS := $subst -g,,$(SAFECFLAGS)) with a
comment about the addition of the -g flag killing initfini stuff on the SH4
processor.  The line seeks to remove any -g option.  Unfortunately it steals
from other things like include file paths of the type "my-linux-gnu" and
turns them into "my-linuxnu", which does nothing to help me find stddef.h
under my headers.  The symptom is a failed build on gmon-start with many
errors about not knowing the size of many typedefs.  May I suggest the two
makefiles be changed to something like:

    SAFECFLAGS := $(filter-out -g,$(SAFECFLAGS))

    Regards,
    Mike